Sunday 21 February 2016

Evaluation Question 1: “In what ways does your media product use, develop or challenge forms and conventions of real media products?”

Above is the nine shot grid of the key parts of my film including the title, setting, costume, camera work and editing, font and styles, narrative, genre, character and special FX. Within this grid you should be able to see how my film reflects the independent music film genre and the way it may challenge the normal conventions.

Within the first photo on the grid you see one of the actors names being present on in-film titles within music notes. This is similarly used within the photo of the band tickets and on the door; they are all alternative and creative ways to present the titles. By presenting the titles this way you are able to draw upon the genre and make them match with the setting. The use of music sheets and concert tickets automatically helps to suggest to the audience that the film is about music.

I also chose to include the title of my film as in-film titles which I think can be seen as something different to what is usually done. I wanted to challenge the normal media conventions and see if I could include it in the film without having to add it on later.

A special FX can be seen within every photo as I chose to colour match the clips so they all had a similar filter. This helped to add to the genre as I used warm lighting to create the sense of intimacy that a lot of independent films tend to offer.

From the editing point of view you can see that as well as in-film text I chose to place some of the titles in using digital text. This allowed me to choose a fun and unconventional text to reflect the indie vibe of the film.

My character within the film is shown on the grid and I believe challenges some of the genres norms. Most independent music films are based around a strong male protagonist whereas my film is based around a strong female protagonist. I believe this stretches the normal conventions in a very positive way.

The setting can be seen during the over the shoulder shot of the character allowing the audience to see the characters bedroom. This allows the audience to further understand the situation and genre of the film due to the visible band posters and the guitar in the room.

The costume I chose for my character was of course her pyjamas which consisted of an old black shirt and bottoms. I believe this is fitting to the genre as usually the character in music films tend to wear grungy clothing. Due to this being a bedroom scene I also wanted to keep the costume to a minimum to reflect the realism of the scene.


No comments:

Post a Comment